International PhD Researcher Open Position – Call for Applications
The Campus Vida’s Research Centre in Information Technology of the University of Santiago de Compostela (CiTIUS-USC) offers a position for a new PhD researcher in the area of eXplainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI), for a period of three years (including a 6 month trial period). The USC hosts more than 3,000 PhD students and has been awarded the "HR Excellence in Research" by the EC under the HRS4R process. Currently, the CiTIUS hosts 30 senior researchers, which have been selected by an external scientific advisory board, and a total of 100 researchers. During the period 2016-2018, CiTIUS researchers have published more than 120 JCR journal papers and obtained 6,5 M€ from competitive R&D funds, most of them in collaboration with the industry sector. CiTIUS researchers have also promoted 3 new spin-offs.
Description and Research Objectives
This PhD position is partially funded by the "Consellería de Educación, Universidade e Formación Profesional of the Xunta de Galicia", eXplica-IA project of excellence (accreditation ED431F 2018/02), under supervision of Jose M. Alonso. The main objective of this project is to answer the scientific challenge of designing and developing a new generation of algorithms and Artificial Intelligence techniques which can provide self-explanatory capabilities to Intelligent Systems; that is, with the capacities to explain their behavior and decisions in Natural Language clearly and without linguistic ambiguities, both to expert and non-expert users. A downloadable version of the call is available here.
Qualifications and Skills
The call seeks outstanding and highly motivated candidates, with initiative, creativity and team-working ability, including working in interdisciplinary research groups. Candidates should fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have obtained a University Degree and a Master Degree in Computer Sciences, Telecommunication Engineering, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence or in another related area within the European Higher Education System (minimum 300 ECTS) or an equivalent University Degree that allows to start a PhD Program at the University of Santiago de Compostela.
- Excellent academic record.
- Good computational skills.
- Very good English level.
It is desirable basic knowledge on Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Generation, Argumentation and/or Human-Machine Interaction.
- The position will be located at CiTIUS, University of Santiago de Compostela.
- We offer a full-time contract with a gross salary of 1518 €/month (14 payments per year), according to candidate’s qualification and experience. It includes medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Health Care System, providing access to the Spanish public health care system for candidates, as well as pension and unemployment benefits.
- Duration: temporary contract for a period of 3 years with a 6 month trial period.
- Developing a project in a stimulating scientific environment, having access to state-of-the-art research facilities and a number of training and career development opportunities.
- Training program in transversal skills: intellectual and property rights, technology transfer, entrepreneurship, communication, management, etc.
- The estimated starting date is April-June 2019.
Evaluation and Selection Procedure
The documentation, uploaded via the Application Form, will be scored according to the following evaluation criteria:
- Academic record (up to 40 points).
- Scientific achievements: previous research experience and skills, scientific results, publications, awards, etc. (up to 15 points).
- Adequacy of the scientific background of the candidate to the project (up to 10 points).
- Reference Letter of the candidate (up to 5 points).
- Motivation letter (up to 5 points).
- Online Interview, only for candidates achieving a minimum of 50 points (25 points).
Applications and Required Documents
Candidates should fill out the Application Form, attaching the following documents:
- Scanned copy (1 PDF file) of the academic record issued by the corresponding University (in English or Spanish).
- A detailed CV in English (1 PDF file limited to 3 pages) including personal contact information, education, list of publications and any other relevant information (projects, awards…).
- A reference letter (academic or scientific) (1 PDF file limited to 2 pages).
- A motivation letter (1 PDF file limited to 1 page).
Incomplete or improperly filled out applications will be discarded.
Closing date for applications: 28.02.19 at 23h59 CET (UCT + 01:00).
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org