Open Position: International Postdoctoral Researcher in Artificial Intelligence
The Research Center on Intelligent Technologies of the University of Santiago de Compostela (CiTIUS) is seeking a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 21 months, who will join the Intelligent Systems Group (ISG).
CiTIUS is a research center in Intelligent Technologies located in Santiago de Compostela, in Southwest of Europe. The center is part of the “Campus Vida” (Life Sciences Campus) Research Centers Network, which was acknowledged in 2009 by Spanish Government as an “international campus of excellence”. CiTIUS hosts more than 100 researchers, including 31 senior scientists who have been selected by an external scientific advisory board, formed by internationally renowned scientists.
Between 2016 and 2019, CiTIUS has published more than 140 papers in indexed scientific journals according to SJR ranking: 66% in the first quartile and 27% in the first decile. In the same period 10 PhD theses per year were defended, and currently there are 53 PhD theses under development. In the last years (2016-2019) CiTIUS obtained funding for more than 7M€. Currently CiTIUS has 6 international projects under development, including 2 H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks (ETN): 1) NL4XAI: Interactive Natural Language Technology for Explainable Artificial Intelligence, coordinated by CiTIUS; and 2) MENELAOS_NT: European Training Network on Multimodal Environmental Exploration Systems – Novel Technologies. It is also partner of the European project TRAFAIR (Understanding Traffic Flows to Improve Air quality), from the call CEF-Telecom Public Open Data. It also participates in 2 Cost Actions. In 2020, CiTIUS will organize the 24th edition of the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2020).
Description and Research Objectives
We are looking for candidates with a Ph.D. degree in Artificial Intelligence and a good record of scientific publications in top conferences and scientific journals, within the topics of interest shown below. We also expect self-motivated candidates who are able to work both independently as well as a team player. Fluent English is essential.
The position is devoted to scientific research in the Scientific Programs of Natural Language Technologies or Machine Learning. The selected postdoc researcher will join one of these two scientific programs of the center, developing his/her own research agenda. He/she will be enrolled in the supervision of undergraduate and graduate students Final Projects (BSc, MSc Thesis), as well as doctoral students, in any of the following areas and topics:
1) Natural Language Technologies:
- Natural Language Generation and Data-To-Text systems
- Explainable Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Generation
- Machine-learning and Natural Language Generation
- NLP for information extraction, language analysis, relation extraction, sentence similarity…
- Information retrieval and search technologies
- Semantic representation with ontologies
- Intelligent data analytics for NLP: machine learning, data mining, imprecise knowledge and reasoning
- High performance computing and big data technologies for NLP
2) Machine Learning:
- Deep Learning
- Probabilistic learning
- Bioinspired Computing
- Lifelong Machine Learning
- Intelligent Bio-signal Processing
- Machine Learning for Text/Web Mining
- Process Mining
The position will be located at CiTIUS, in the University of Santiago de Compostela:
- We offer a full-time contract with a gross salary of 2257 €/month (14 payments per year). It includes medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Health Care System, providing access to the Spanish public health care system for candidates, as well as pension and unemployment benefits.
- Duration: temporary contract for a period of 21 months.
- Developing a project in a stimulating scientific environment, having access to state-of-the-art research facilities and a number of training and career development opportunities.
- Training program in transversal skills: intellectual and property rights, technology transfer, entrepreneurship, communication, management, etc.
- The estimated starting date is 1 Jan 2020.
The application, submitted electronically via the University of Santiago de Compostela website using the application form found in the following link:
This form must contain information of research background and work experience, including:
- PDF document of the Curriculum Vitae, highlighting the merits that are established as assessment criteria and that are set out, for each specific position, in the annex to the call.
- Sworn statement in which the candidate declares under his responsibility, that he meets the requirements of the call and can prove it on the deadline of applications.
- A motivation letter outlining background and experience.
- One or two reference Letters.
Candidates are encouraged to contact the CiTIUS Knowledge Management and Transfer Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance or for any information related to the application process. When contacting, please indicate the position reference in the subject line (Post-doc position 2018-PG023).
Reference number of the position: 2018-PG023
Closing date for applications: 2019-10-31 at 23:59 CET (UCT + 01:00)
Evaluation and Selection Procedure
The documentation will be scored according to the following evaluation criteria:
- Previous research positions related to Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Technologies (up to 20 points)
- Scientific achievements: scientific results, publications, awards and projects in the fields of Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Technologies (up to 40 points)
- Motivation Letter (up to 10 points)
- Reference Letters (up to 10 points)
- Interview, for candidates achieving a minimum of 60 points (up to 20 points)